Right from the inception of MCFSP at KNUST in 2014/15 academic year, the Counselling Unit has been dedicated to promoting an integral well-being of the Scholars. The Unit believes in the profound connection between the Body, Mind and Spirit and hence monitor the Academic and the Psycho-social needs of the Scholars. In our work with Scholars, the Unit employs psychological assessment tools to discover and trace the source of some deep complex problems that Scholars face. Again, the Unit pays attention to their emotional well-being as well as guiding them to pursue healthy and mature relationships. The Unit therefore follows up on Scholars with challenges to make sure that their issues and unused opportunities do not debar them from achieving their academic goals and careers in life.
THE VISION AND MISSION OF COUNSELLING UNIT
To provide a conducive environment for learning and growth and a haven which acknowledges and appreciates individual differences as well as giving attention to diversity of all kinds.
The Counselling Unit at KNUST provides academic support, professional, mental health counseling and consultation services for our Scholars.
J Harper & Powell Building (TCC)
SERVICES PROVIDED BY THE COUNSELLING UNIT
- Individual & Group Counselling handling issues such as:
- Overcoming Emotional Stress, Anxiety, Depression
- Dealing with Sexual Assault
- Managing Trauma, Crisis and Grief
- Choosing the right careers
- Building healthier and mature relationship among Students/Scholars and Staff
- Developing good and effective Communication Skills as well as Study Habits
- Working on Personality Development—Self-confidence, Self-Esteem & Family Concerns
- Psycho-Educational Programs/Seminars:
- Assertiveness Training
- Time management
- Behavioral Modification & Sensitization
- Study Skills
- Psychological Assessments
- Off-campus Referrals
- Hall visitations
- Handling Scholars with Special Needs
- NB: All Scholars are expected to see a Counsellor at least once in an academic year.
OTHER AVAILABLE SERVICES
- MCF@KNUST PEER MENTORS/COUNSELLORS
The Peer Mentors/counsellors group serve as a subsidiary to the MCF Counselling unit. Their primary responsibility is to serve as mentors /counsellors who will be the first point of call to the Scholars body, especially in terms of academics and other counselling needs. They make referrals to MCF counselling unit when deemed necessary.
- KNUST COUNSELLING CENTRE (KCC) PEER COUNSELLING
The Peer Counselling group of the KCC provides counselling services to students in their hostels and halls to help them improve upon their academic and social life, and also make case referrals to the KCC.
KNOW YOUR COUNSELLORS OF BOTH MCF & KCC
- Rev. Dr. Stephen Kofi Jantuah—0203832091—J. Harper (6A)
- Ms. Abigail Monney—0206298552/0540955447—Powell Building (TCC)
- Mrs. Harriet Afriyie Adjimi—0244684078—Powell Building (TCC)
- Ms. Priscilla Kafui Asamoah—0247744154/0501355794—Powell Building (TCC)
- Mr. Michael Agbasah—0241706745/0201845548—Powell Building (TCC)
- Mrs Bernice Ofosuhene Peasah—0501348785--College of Science (COS)
- Mr. Joseph Asamoah Gyawu—0278698948---IDL & Obuasi Campus
- Mrs. Joana Joselyn Hackman—0243111923---College of Health Sciences (COHS)
- Ms. Akua Afriyie—0201469446—College of Agriculture and Natural Resources (CANR)
- Gilbert Langu Konwie—0242005566—College of Art and Built Environment (CABE)
- Dr. Mrs. Elizabeth Anokyewaa Sarfo Fordjour---0207087380—College of Engineering (COE)
- Mr. Rabbi Darko—0242887536—College of Humanities and Social Sciences (COHSS)
- Mrs. Victoria DeGraft Adjei (Head of the Counselling Centre)—0244263984—DOS Office
Telephone: +233 50 9377334
Offices: J Harper Building, Room 6A and,
Powell Building (TCC)
Monday to Friday—8.00am to 5pm with one-hour break (1pm-2pm)